Road trips are exciting, especially when we travel with our family. However, road trips with small children mean lots of planning, anxiety and worry for the parents. We always assume that something will go wrong and we might not be able to enjoy the trip as much as we should. If you are one such mom, it’s time you stopped worrying and start enjoying. After all, that is what the road trip is all about – having a great time with family!
Experts offer several tips to make car travel enjoyable and safe. Some of them are listed here to make your car travel memorable. Read on and get ready to zoom off…
- Make sure the car is tuned up for the trip – You might have ticked off all the items in the list while getting ready for the trip. Clothes, food, medicines, entertainment and everything would be on your list. However, it is likely that you have forgotten the most important thing – taking your car for a tune-up. Rain can quickly create dangerous driving conditions and it is essential to ensure your car is in prime condition before heading out. There are Get a qualified mechanic to check the tyres, battery, oils, seat belts and the air conditioner.
- Sleep well the night before – According to reports, falling asleep behind the wheels is one of the leading causes of accidents. Make sure you get a good night’s sleep before you head out. Don’t drive if you are drowsy and be willing to hand over the steering to your travel partner every few hours.
- Check the back seat and interiors – It would be a wise move to check the back seat and remove all unnecessary cargo. Choose only soft and safe toys for the kids, remove all hazardous items such as cleaning fluids from the back seat. Turn the child lock on and ensure the door knobs won’t come off.
- Beware of the Sun – Don’t forget to carry sunscreen lotions, sunglasses and hats, if you are travelling during the summers. To keep the car interior cool, you can choose to go for some window tinting in Norman, OK, should that be where you are currently. This could prevent excess heat accumulation and let the A/C work efficiently. Cover the safety seats to make sure they don’t get too hot for the baby. And never leave the children alone in the car.
- Carry an emergency kit – It is necessary to carry an emergency kit in the car. The kit should contain essential items like:
- Warm blankets
- A flashlight
- Jumper cables
- Tools to change the tyre
- A fully charged cell phone
- A first-aid kit
You should also know which number to call in case of an emergency. It would be wise to sign up for a roadside assistance plan while going on a road trip.
- Travel light – This is easier said than done. Nevertheless, on a long trip, it is sensible to keep the junk out of your car. If your car comes with an open cargo area, strap down the luggage.
Now that you have mastered the car travel tips, head out and enjoy that long planned trip in your car!