The internet is dominating most of our lives.

How much do you know about it? Are you aware that the internet is responsible for more than US$2.2 trillion in yearly retail sales alone? That’s a lot of s. Or that the number of WordPress subscribers is almost the same as Turkey’s entire population?

The internet is undeniably a tour de force; it generates trillions of dollars through direct and indirect revenue every year. The psychology of internet users is changing and content marketing is becoming the main way businesses promote themselves.

The impact of the internet will continue to rise, but only the informed population will benefit from its advantages. And there is nothing more annoying than a poor internet connection in this day and age, that is why searching for the best internet providers chicago deals and policies, for example, will get people on the internet at the speed they want so they can keep up with these new statistics coming out. In a bid to increase your internet knowledge, below is a summary of current internet facts and statistics (2016) you will find helpful.

  1. There were 3.4 billion internet users in August 2016; that’s up to 40% of the global population.
  2. The highest number of internet users are from Asia, which accounts for up to 48.4% of global netizens.
  3. China, with an estimated 640 million netizens, has the most internet users. That’s twice the entire population of the United States.
  4. In percentage, the highest internet users per country are:
  • China 21.97%
  • United States (9.58%)
  • India (8.33%)
  1. The country with the highest internet penetration is Bermuda, at 97.6%; this means that 63,987 of Bermuda’s 65,461 are internet users.
  2. The United States is only ranked 25th in terms of internet penetration, because only 86.75% of its population use the internet.
  3. The U.K ranks 15th for internet penetration with an estimated 89.90% of internet users.
  4. In 2015, digital interactions influenced the sum of retail sales to about US$2.2 trillion.
  5. By the year 2017, Wi-Fi and mobile devices will produce 68% of all traffic on the internet.
  6. In 2015, the internet accounted for 64.4% of all in-store sales.
  7. Facebook has a total active user base of 1.55 billion.
  8. The total number of Google search made daily is 2.9 billion.
  9. About 2.75 million blog posts are published every day.


Domain Name Stats for 2016

  1. There number of (.com) domain names registered is 123.78 million. This makes the .com TLD the most widely used domain name extension. It is followed by .tk TLD with a registered 27.7 million domain names.
  2. Of all registered TLDs, the .com TLD makes up 50% of the accounts.
  3. As at November 2015, there were a total of 1096 TLDs.
  4. com is the most expensive domain name ever sold, and the amount was $35.6 million, in 2010.

Web Hosting Stats

  1. There are presently 966 million websites in the world.
  2. The largest number of websites connected to the internet was 1 billion. This occurred in September 2014.
  3. British physicist Tim Berners-Lee, published the world’s first website on the 6th of August 1991.
  4. Humans are only responsible for 44% of web traffic. The remaining 56% is from internet bots, hacking devices, spammers and scrapers
  5. Apache hosts 39% of web servers, also corroborated by hosting company Umbrellar
  6. The most visited website in the world is Facebook, followed by Google, and YouTube.
  7. The typical e-commerce site takes 7.12 seconds to load on Internet Explorer 9, an average of 7.15 seconds to open on Firefox 7 and 7.5 seconds to open on Google chrome.
  8. Google’s ranking factor is site speed.
  9. The most popular content management system is WordPress. It powers 25.4% of all websites on the internet and is responsible for more than 76.5 million blogs

E-commerce and Conversion Stats

  1. 40% of internet users worldwide, or 1 billion people, have purchase goods and services online.
  2. The average attention span of an internet user is 8 seconds.
  3. Online retail sales in the U.K reached an estimated 52.6 billion in 2015. The average shopper spent 1,174.